Saturday, March 23, 2013

Painting of the Week - March 22, 2013

But now Lord, what do I look for?  My hope is in You. - Psalm 39: 7
 
Today's painting is unfinished. It is my first plein-air work. Plein-air painting is painting outdoors straight from nature. I walked this morning to the crest of a hill in the Phoenix Mountain Preserve, sat on a rock and worked out the values, lines and features.  I also took photographs that I will reference for finishing the tighter details in my studio.  Just as other artists have told me, the light changed rapidly, and as the sun rose higher the colors became less warm.  I look forward to doing a lot of hiking and outdoor painting. 
 
Things I learned from my first experience: 
  • Wear sun screen and a hat next time.  
  • A 16 x 20 canvas stretched on a frame is easy to carry to, as well as from, the worksight.  You can manage it without an easel, but I wouldn't want to with a larger canvas.
  • A square sectioned plastic lidded containter works efficiently for a plein air pallet; you can pour a little water in one section and tilt it against a rock so that it makes a little well in the corner to wet your brushes (This if you are using watercolor or acrylic paint,)  and the lid preserves left over paint when you pack up to leave.
  • A sweatshirt or jacket with good pockets for water bottles makes water seem less heavy to carry; one bottle of water to drink and one for paint thinning and brush cleaning.
  • Just a couple squares of paper towels is sufficient.
  • Select a few small (light weight) tubes of paint, or prepare the sections of your container with amounts you think you'll need.
  • Always take a camera.  There might be an unsuspecting bug or animal nearby that you can photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment